Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with incoming connections

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxbox

IS-IT--Management
Aug 18, 2004
US
Hello all. i'm very new to ISA server but i'm in a position where we have taken over a network that has an ISA 2004 server running 2003 server and a cisco PIX firewall/router as well.
Let me tell you my basic problem other than not knowing ISA server ; )

All of the clients on the network have an ip address in the 192.168.1.X subnet and they are all connected to a switch which is also connected to one network card of the ISA server and that ip address is 192.168.1.1.

the OTHER network card in the ISA server has an ip of 192.168.11.2 and it's default gateway is 192.168.11.1 which is the Cisco PIX ethernet interface.

Now, the pix also has two nics and the OTHER side of the cisco Pix is what is connected to the internet. it has a public internet routable ip address and there are no limiting access rules on that PIX...pretty much it's wide open.

So, ok. my issue is actually quite simple so it seems. from the pix i can ping 192.168.11.2 (nic on ISA server that pix is connected to) but i need to allow incoming connections from the pix to the internal network of the ISA server (192.168.1.X) network. i have some servers internally and a few video cameras with internal ip's that can be remotely managed from the internet. So, i need to be able to connect to the PIX's public ip address which is no problem, and then have the pix use it's NAT to route the connections to the 192.168.1.X network on the ISA.

one thing i DID do that allowed me to ping 192.168.1.1 from the pix:
i edited the 'system policy' of the ISA server to allow ICMP connections from the 192.168.11.0 subnet. so this lets me ping that one address, however it's not allowing it any further.....i can't ping any other 192.168.1.X address on the network and that is where i'm stuck.

not sure why this is so complicated but can anyone help me on this? i'm really stuck here and it just seems like such a simple thing to do but i have no experience with ISA server at all. just need it to allow basically any traffic from my pix (192.168.11.1) into the ISA server (192.168.11.2) and through to the 192.168.1.X network

can anyone help me with this?

You have 2 options:

1. Use ISA box as a Second FW to form your DMZ (which is a network between PIX internal interface and ISA external interface)
2. Use ISA box as a Router between PIX and Internal network. (with packet inspection, but not "really" like a Protection mechanism)

Further ISA conf depends on your choice.
What would you like to achieve?

Victor(MCS)
MCSA/MCSE:Security & Messaging;CNE;CCSE+;CIWSP;CIWSA;Network+;Security+;CCNA;nCSE;CISSP

It sounds like a back to back configuration which means you are double nat'ting. This can be problematic.

You can forward the request from the WAN IP of the PIX to the DMZ IP of the ISA 192.168.11.x and then have ISA forward the request to the appropriate LAN destination.

What purpose is the PIX serving? You could just remove it all together and PUT ISA at the perimter of your network. It is just as secure; if not more secure than the PIX.

Since you are new to ISA check out ISAServer.org. Lots of goodies on this site.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back