Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with importing excel file

Status
Not open for further replies.
Apr 13, 2007
US
I am trying to import an excel file into sql (import data dts) and for some reason, after I imported the data into sql, “May” is the only column that didn’t get imported. I checked all the format of the column within the excel sheet and I don’t see anything different between may column and other columns. However, when I saved as a text delimited file, I was able to import everything. I need to import the data from excel format instead of text file. Can anybody please help?

Id jan feb mar april may
1 1 1
2 1 1 1 1
3 1 1

no, it is not stored as text. I have no idea what is preventing the "may" column to be imported into sql

I would guess it is a formating issue. Try import your txt file into a new Excel sheet, then try import that sheet into SQL. If this works, then we have narrowed it down a bit!

Michael

How are you doing your import? Are you using a Transformation Task, Bulk Insert Task or SQl Task with a BCP command?

Well Done is better than well said
- Ben Franklin

I tried to import the txt file (the one i exported out from the original worksheet) back into an excel, and the data is there for may. I just right click on the db and select all task\import data. Something is not right the the original file and I didn't create the file. But I kind need to fix the original file because people have added a lot of comments in the the cell and I have no idea how to copy all the comments into a new file. does anybody know how i can fix this??

thanks

analytics2006, if you select copy (Ctrl-C) and then Edit Paste Special, you can choose to paste comments etc.

I would try and replicate teh May column in the original file into a new column.

Good luck.

Michael

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back