Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with implementing security 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

zahara666

Technical User
Nov 1, 2001
CA
I have created a database (called front-end) that is linked to a bunch of tables (called back-end). I copy the front end to people's workstations where they can use their own database to link to the back-end tables.

I want to implement security now - so I used the security wizard and followed everything precisely. Now it creates a short-cut on my computer to the Microsoft Access Workgroup Information file. How do I point everyone's front end to look at this Workgroup file???

Thanks for your help!!

J.

On each person's desktop you place an icon and the target for the icon needs to be in the form:-

"C:\.. .. \Access.exe" "\\Server\Path\Front-end.mdb" /wrkgrp "\\Server\Path\System.mdw"

Where
C:\.. .. \Access.exe is the path on their local machine to their copy of the Access application

\\Server\Path\Front-end.mdb is their copy of the front end database

\\Server\Path\System.mdw is the universal path to the central. networked copy of the Workgroup Information File.

If you do not have space characters in your Server\Path\File names then you don't need the double quote marks ( But as most people who don't know better seem adicted to scattering space characters around, then you probobly will ).

'ope-that-'elps.

G LS

There are many ways to do this, one way is mantioned above, however normally I would create a table in the back-end called User.

In this User table I would have username, password, and some booliean fields (yes/no) on things like Admin, Sales, etc. (you know rights to access var. parts of the programe).

In the front end I would have my own lockon screen that would stop the user and lock him/her in or out. Also on this lockon screen I would give the poss. to change the user password (after giving the correct password).

If you like this way, but are in the dark about how to do this let me know and drop your mail adr. I can then mail you en example dir.

Rgds

LittleSmudge,

I am concerned about one thing: If I place a shortcut as you suggested on everyone's desktop - are they all accessing the same frontend? I have had major problems with this, and that is why I have litterally copy and pasted the front end onto everyone's computer (as opposed to using a shortcut to a central frontend database). They all have their own front ends (client side) which is accessing the ONE backend table. This way people won't receive error messages when they are accessing the same forms.

Will I still have problems?

Thanks,
J.

hermanlaksko,

Using your method, will this prevent certain users from accessing certains sections of the database? Or is it simply a username/password prompt? I need the security feature to restrict access to certain areas of the database.

I can be emailed at jpaperwala(at)hotmail.com if your example can be used for these needs. Thanks so much for your help!!

J.

No problems jpaperwala

Whether people all access a single front end or a local copy of the front end is under YOUR control.

Where I put in my original post
\\Server\Path\Front-end.mdb is their copy of the front end database

the key work is THEIR. If you make this the same Server\Path\filename in every case then they all access the same front end. If you customise the shortcut to point to their personal copy then it will be their personal copy that they open.

YOU have the POWER :)

G LS

May I suggest the following FAQs. They answer a lot of questions and provide help in implementing Access User Security.

faq181-83 - Access Security FAQs from Microsoft
faq181-1164 - Security Checklist
faq181-1131 - More Help for Setting up Access Security
Terry L. Broadbent - DBA
Computing Links:
faq183-874 contains "Suggestions for Getting Quick and Appropriate Answers" to your questions.

hermanlaksko,
I would like a copy of your example emailed to me at:
jbadams007@cox.net.

I am very interested in setting up the security so that when my users access the frontend db it requires them to provide a user id and password. This will also take care of my problem of only allowing users to be able to run or manipulate certain objects in my database.

Many thanks!!

JB

I am very interested in setting up the security so that when my users access the frontend db it requires them to provide a user id and password. This will also take care of my problem of only allowing users to be able to run or manipulate certain objects in my database.

Remember that the standatd Access security model does exactly these things, and does them very well. - That is exactly what it is there for.

And, although neither system is totally secure - the Access User & Groups security model is a lot easier to get 'quite secure' because there are SO many back doors to the other method that could possibly let someone in.

G LS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back