Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with filtering a form with two values that mean the same thing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mindy343

Technical User
Sep 9, 2004
US
I have a table that lists locations. The data was sent to me in excel spread sheets. My problem is that the users often use different names for the same place. Is there a way to tell Access that names are equal so I can filter a form to show records by location.

Without a more standardized way of receiving the data, you're probably better off correcting it through update queries rather than instructing Access to impute equivalents.

You could make queries like the following:

"Update Table set Location = 'Standard Name' where Location in ('Name Variant1', 'Name Variant2', 'Name Variant3',...);"

Then you might set a macro to run them all, or use VBA. You could also do all of this from VBA. You'd probably be adding variants for a while until the list was pretty complete, but of course someone could still come up with something way out there.

Thanks...as anyone here who has read any of my questions knows...I'm not so good with VBA! The query works great.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back