Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with expanding SQL Query 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

dilvid

Programmer
Jan 17, 2006
GB
ello all. Ive got an existing SQL query which I need to expand on. Currently I have 3 Tables Patient(PatientCode, PatientSurname, PatientFirstname), Doctor(DoctorCode, DoctorSurname, DoctorFirstName) and Operation(OpCode, PatientCode, DoctorCode, Date). What the current query I have does is find out the patient details of someone who had an operation on a certain date. But what I need it to do now is to get the patient details and doctor details. Any ideas on how to do this?? heres what I have on the original query so far

SELECT * From Patient Where PatientCode IN(SELECT PatientCode FROM Operation WHERE Date = '21/12/00');

Any help will be a big help!!

Try this:

SELECT t1.OpCode as OperationCode,t1.[Date] as OperationDate,
t2.PatientCode, t2.PatientSurname, t2.PatientFirstName,
t3.DoctorCode,t3.DoctorSurName, t3.DoctorFirstName FROM
Operation t1 INNER JOIN
Patient t2 ON t1.PatientCode=t2.PatientCode
INNER JOIN Doctor t3
ON t1.DoctorCode=t3.DoctorCode

-DNG

Ahh that’s perfect apart from one thing, i only need the Patient and doctors name from as certain date. Sorry im not really used to SQL as im only doing this for a friend’s chiropody surgery as she’s actually taken on more chiropodists as she’s having a kid and cant work as many hours lol. She used to do everything but she can’t now so I offered to enhance her system so cope with the new staff lol. Anyway I don’t know if I edited bits I shouldn’t of but I got this but I get an error when I run it.

Code:
SELECT PatientSurname, PatientFirstname, DoctorSurname, DoctorFirstname FROM (SELECT t1.OperationCode as OperationCode,t1.Date as OperationDate, t2.PatientCode, t2.PatientSurname, t2.PatientFirstName,t3.DoctorCode,t3.DoctorSurName, t3.DoctorFirstName FROM Operation t1 INNER JOIN Patient t2 ON t1.PatientCode = t2.PatientCode INNER JOIN Doctor t3 ON t1.DoctorCode=t3.DoctorCode) WHERE OperationDate = '21/11/05';

The Error im getting is :

Error Code : 1248
Every derived table must have its own alias
(16 ms taken)

Any help, ive searched for the error and found a few pages and tried their examples and altered some code but nothing seem to help.

try this:
Code:
SELECT t1.OpCode as OperationCode,t1.[Date] as OperationDate, 
t2.PatientCode, t2.PatientSurname, t2.PatientFirstName,
t3.DoctorCode,t3.DoctorSurName, t3.DoctorFirstName FROM
Operation t1 INNER JOIN
Patient t2 ON t1.PatientCode=t2.PatientCode
INNER JOIN Doctor t3
ON t1.DoctorCode=t3.DoctorCode
WHERE t1.Date = '21/11/05'

-DNG

ty, your a star!!! I was being held up by this (kinda stubborn and wouldnt move onto another part until it was done lol). Thank you

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back