Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Exchange 2000 setup

Status
Not open for further replies.

Poloboy

Technical User
Aug 26, 2002
US
Hi all,
I recently just deployed an exchange 2000 server. What do i need to do to have exchange to work with my DNS. My DNS is working perfectly fine. I tried adding the MX record but it doesn't seem to work. Can any one show me the proper way of setting up the MX record? I like to access the email from the web also. I got it to work internally but not externally. My exchange 2000 is on a different box than PDC.

PDC 192.168.0.2
Exchange 192.168.0.3
External IP 12.245.84.168

Thanks

I am assuming that you've got control of your PUBLIC DNS zone and that you've been issued one public IP?
If so, on the public DNS server's zone file for your domain:

@ IN MX 10 mail.YOURDOMAINNAME.com
mail IN A 12.245.84.168

Of course, you would then need to set up some kind of routing that would forward any packets destined for port 25 to go to 192.168.0.3

when I try to create MX record with the name @ it tells me that the name is invalid. Is there a way to input that?

oh, yeah. sorry. on w2k dns, when you want add a record with the name @ , you just choose to leave the Name blank.

Can you please explain details on how to configure exchange 2000 from scratch? I had configured it so it authenticate for pop but it's unable to sent test messages, and still having trouble for web mail access. And this question make me look stupid but what is the default URL for web-mail access? Because when i type it pull up my website instead. And if I type in it saids URL not found.

Ok, I got the mail to sent but I can't receive any mail. What do i need to do in order to receive mail from outside?

I am assuming you have IIS at External IP 12.245.84.168.

Add a new "remote" domain to your default SMTP virtual server. Name the new remote domain "yourdomain.com" and specify that all mail should be forward to the following Smart Host: "yourexchangebox.yourdomain.com"

There will already be an existing "local" domain in your default SMTP virtual server named "youriisbox.yourdomain.com". Just leave it alone.

Hope this is useful. Game Over, Man!

How do add a "remote" domain to SMTP virtual server?...I had look but can I can't seem to find it...Can you walk me throught it?

Thankyou

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back