Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest_imported

Jan 1, 1970
I have a spreadsheet that contains the firstname and surname of staff in column A. Is there a forumula that will look at the content of cell A1 and display the firstname and surname in two different columns.

i.e.

A1 = Fred Smith

I want B1 to = Fred and C1 to = Smith

If anyone has the answer I would be most grateful!!

Cell B1 =LEFT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))
Cell C1 =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))

HTH

Indu

Sorry, too much of rush to go home.

Here is the corrected one.

Cell B1 =LEFT(A1,FIND(" ",A1)-1)
Cell C1 =RIGHT(A1,LEN(A1)-FIND(" ",A1))

HTH

Indu

That work fine, thanks!!! BUT what has happened to my gridlines in cells B1 and C1, they have disappeared.

The gridlines will not be affcted yb the formula. There is something else going on. Best thing is to refresh the screen, perhaps by closing the file and opening the file again and see what happens.

Indu

Probably unnecesary to suggest this now that xlhelp has provided a good solution, but you could also use text to columns (data menu) and set 'space' as the delimiter.
Whatever you use, I agree with xlhelp that your gridlines disappearing is unrelated to his formula. If his suggestion of screen refresh doesn't work, a couple of long shots are to look at conditional formatting (formatting menu) or in the vba editor (Alt+F11)for any macros that may be doing this.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back