Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with ErrorMessages from sysmessages table

Status
Not open for further replies.

Netooi

Programmer
May 15, 2002
US
Ok.. Here's my situation.. I recently brought this up and you guys were able to give me a solution but things just got a little more complicated..

Here's a brief summary of the old problem so you will know what i'm after now:
I have a Access Database that was upsized to SQL Server 7.0.
In upsizing it, it added quite a few new errormessages to the sysmessages table. I have quite a few triggers and things that call these new errormessages. My first problem was being able to transfer the newly generated errormessages when a backup of the database was given to the client. A few of you helped out greatly with that.
What i ended up doing was having a stored procedure to extract the new errormessages and store them in a table i created in my database, then another stored procedure to reinsert them to the master's sysmessages table after transferring the database.

The new problem is this: The client doesnt want to use this way because they think it might cause possible conflicts with existing errormessages in their sysmessages table. So what i need is this...

Is there any way to create a local version of the sysmessages table in my database that holds these errormessages that were generated during the upsizing process. This will cancel out the reinserting into the master's sysmessages table and all that. And when my triggers need to call them, is there anyway for the RAISERROR <msgnum> command to call the local sysmessages table instead of looking to the master's table?

I'm curious if anyone has ever run into this type of problem before and how you handled it or if anyone has a possible solution.
Thanks for whatever help you can give in advance!
Kevin

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back