Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with error message please

Status
Not open for further replies.

yim11

MIS
Jun 26, 2000
US
Hello,

I have been given the task to try and figure out why an application we have at work will not work on 1 users workstation. The workstation is Windows 98SE. The application was written in VB, and the version of Oracle is 8. The error is when trying to logon to the database, after the username and password are submitted, we receive the following:

"Error -2147467259
Description: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver for Oracle][Oracle]"

Is there any way to obtain any additional information on the error? It doesnt seem as if I have enough info to diagnose. My initial thought is the update/change the ODBC driver being used, but wanted to hear from the pro's before I did anything.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions and help,
-jim

Sounds to me like the client is unable to connect to the database. (Was this client ever able to connect? If so, has the connection criteria for the database undergone any changes since the last attempt to log on by this client.)

If this client is using a local tnsnames.ora file, check that the details here correspond with the details on the other clients file. Also, as you've already had the foresight to suggest, I would double check the validity of the odbc driver being used to connect.

Naith

To troubleshoot your DB connectivity, I suggest using theTNSPING utility from the DOS prompt on the client. Try "TNSPING dbname" (no quotes, use your db name). If you get a response, then you know your TNSNAMES files or Oracle Names setup is valid. You could then use the test option under the windows 32-Bit ODBC screens to try a low-leel test to the database. You give it a username/password and it will try to login and run a simple query. Good luck! ____________________________
Rich Tefft
PL/SQL Programmer

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back