Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with DNS on Linux

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alabaster

Programmer
Aug 11, 2001
CA
I have to say that DNS seems easier on W2K then it appears on Linux. I'm trying to replace my W2K Server with a Linux Server, I've got everything setup so far except for DNS. I just can't seem to wrap my brain around this. All I want is to be able to define a couple of hosts that exist on my network and have everything forward out to the ISP.
In W2K I just setup my zone domain.ca and definded my hosts. everything else was forwarded to the ISP. The only thing I've been able to do with BIND so far is bind my brain.
Am I making things harder then I need too or is BIND overkill for my situation.

Thanks in advance.

Peter

Peter
---------------------------------------
To error is human
To really botch it up requires Windows®

If you only need to resolve the few hosts locally put them in /etc/hosts. No need to define a zone for that.

BIND should come out of the box as a caching nameserver but if you want to forward requests, open you /etc/named.conf file and uncomment the 'forwarders' line. Put in the host(s) you want to forward to and uncomment the line below with the 'forward-first' statement.

Then do 'ndc restart' and you're all set. THat's not too hard ;-)

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

That sounds good, but if I don't define a zone will BIND know what schedule.domain.ca is or will it go to my isp for definition?

Thanks

Peter

Peter
To error is human

Peter

use a command redhat-config-bind it is graphical utility.

do you have bind package install?
rpm -qa |grep bind

Patel

Peter, your last question doesn't really make sense. A DNS server should always be able to resolve queries no matter what zones it has defined itself.

You DNS can't know what some.domain.name is until it asks for it. If you've defined your forwarders statement it will ask your ISPs DNS and then cache the result for a specified time.

Cheers

Henrik Morsing
Certified AIX 4.3 Systems Administration
& p690 Technical Support

Ok let me elaborate on my confusiuon...

In my W2K Server I defind a host of webmail.domain.ca pointing to 192.168.10.11.
My outside DNS Service (EasyDNS) has an entry for webmail.domain.ca pointing to 209.134.XXX.XXX what every my static IP is.
This setup is primarily because my cheap broadband router will not support web requests that point back to itself.

Now that everything is going through the linux box I want to make sure that things stay the same.

PS - know any good PPPoE utilites other then roaring penguin? I can't seem to convince it that I am logged on as root. :-(

Peter
To error is human

Peter,
On your linux machine enter your local addresses in the /etc/hosts file. You would enter them like below:
shecdule.domain.ca[tab]local ip address.
webmail.domain.ca[tab]192.168.10.11
and do this for each local host that you have. To setup forwarding follow Morsings instructions for editing the named.conf. When the linux machine serves a request it will check it's host file. If the address is not found there, then it will check it's dns cache. If not there it will then check the forward dns server that you specify in the named.conf.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back