Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Distinct statement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DebHanleyRI

Programmer
Jun 18, 2002
US
I have two tables I need to join to populate an excel spreadsheet. The following statement works, but, now I need to modify to select only distinct oldack.trans_recordid.

The oldack.date is the primary key.

Here is my select statement:

SELECT oldack.[Date], oldack.ack, oldack.visit_id, oldack.trans_recordid, transcripts.trans_three, Transcripts.Recordid, transcripts.visit_id, transcripts.transcript
FROM oldack
INNER JOIN
Transcripts ON (LTRIM(oldack.trans_recordid)) = Transcripts.Recordid
WHERE (oldack.date > "dateVariable" ) and (oldack.ack LIKE '%MSA|AE%')

Thanks,
Deb

not all who wander are lost....

If you want just unique trans_ids returned from the query, you will need to tell the database what other information you want for that ONE record - I'm not explaining this too well...

Lets say that the table has
Trans_id visit_ID
1 1
1 2
1 3
1 3

SELECT DISTINCT trans_id FROM myTable
Trans_id

BUT when you add a second column with multiple value to the query you get..
SELECT DISTINCT trans_id, visit_ID FROM myTable
Trans_id visit_ID
1 1
1 2
1 3

In this case you need to tell the DB that you want just one visit_id (let's say the first one)

SELECT DISTINCT m.trans_Id, d.visit_id FROM myTable m
JOIN (SELECT distinct trans_id, min(visit_id) as visit_id FROM myTable GROUP BY trans_id) d ON m.trans_id = d.trans_ID

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

Thanks for the quick response - Let me mention I am a newbie. I believe that I have followed your instructions correctly, but the error I get is:

Line 3: Incorrect syntax near '.'.
Line 3 is: as Transcripts.Recordid...

I tried the following:
SELECT DISTINCT oldack.trans_recordid, Transcripts.Recordid FROM oldack
JOIN (SELECT distinct oldack.trans_recordid, min(Transcripts.Recordid),oldack.[Date], oldack.ack, oldack.visit_id, transcripts.trans_three, Transcripts.Recordid, transcripts.visit_id, transcripts.transcript
as Transcripts.Recordid FROM transcripts GROUP BY trans_id)
ON (LTRIM(oldack.trans_recordid)) = Transcripts.Recordid
WHERE (oldack.date > '02/05/04' ) and (oldack.ack LIKE '%MSA|AE%')

I am not sure that I have added the additional fields I need in the correct spot.

not all who wander are lost....

If you REALLY want to call it that (you already have a column called recordid from transcripts) then put brackets around it ([])

SELECT DISTINCT oldack.trans_recordid, Transcripts.Recordid FROM oldack
JOIN (SELECT distinct oldack.trans_recordid, min(Transcripts.Recordid),oldack.[Date], oldack.ack, oldack.visit_id, transcripts.trans_three, Transcripts.Recordid, transcripts.visit_id, transcripts.transcript
as [Transcripts.Recordid] FROM transcripts GROUP BY trans_id)
ON (LTRIM(oldack.trans_recordid)) = Transcripts.Recordid
WHERE (oldack.date > '02/05/04' ) and (oldack.ack LIKE '%MSA|AE%')

Programming today is a race between software engineers striving to build better and bigger idiot-proof programs, and the Universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning. - Rick Cook (No, I'm not Rick)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back