Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with DHCP & DSL & Small Business Server 4.5 on NT Server 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

rokkit99

Technical User
May 30, 2002
US
Thanks for looking at this post,

We have a Windows NT Server 4, Service Pack 6 running Small Business Server 4.5.

Today we attempted to setup a DSL line on the Network to be shared by all Clients. It's Verizon DSL Modem/Router. It's IP address is 192.168.1.1. I am able to set it up and gain access to the internet from the clients. However with the modem/router plugged into the hub, no one can access the exchange server.

I get a message in the event viewer that says: The DHCP Server is shutting down because another DHCP Server with the ip address 192.168.1.1 (isp address) is active on the network.

If I unplug the router and reboot the server all is ok. I have tried different IP addresses on the router 192.168.1.1-14, all the the same problem.

What can I do so that we can have access to the exchange server & the internet at the same time?

Thanks so Much! - Rokkit99

Basically you now have 2 DHCP servers on your network - DSL box and your SBS. SBS actually checks for the presence of the other server and shuts down. It would be best to disable DHCP on the DSL box and let your SBS perform this function as it can supply additional info along with an IP address.
I never used DSL, so not sure how easy/difficult this would be.
Make sure your default gateway is your DSL router's address.

Good luck.

Also remember, if you are running DNS on your server, to make the next lookup your DSL Router, which should then automatically look to your ISP for external DNS entries.

Otherwise, when you come to browse the internet, you are not going to find anything, as your DNS server will not have then listed.

=======================================
So often times it happens that we live our lives in chains
And we never even know we have the key

Ne auderis delere orbem rigidum meum
======================================

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back