Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Decode statement to replace Case 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

hazelsisson

Programmer
Mar 18, 2002
GB
Hi all,

I've devised a CASE statement for use within my stored procedure SQL insert query but then found out it doesn't work in our version of Oracle.
(The error message is PLS-00103: Encountered the symbol "CASE" when expecting one of the following: ( - + mod not null others <an identifier>).

Is there any way to re-write my case statement as a Decode statement?

I've simplified the query to show you, but hopefully you can get the idea - the case statement just sets an indicator to 'Y' if any value of j.journey_date is less than the bind variable :sdate.
Code:
insert into zcmintranet@hrtest
( zcmi_con_no, zcmi_car_reg, zcmi_mls_ntx, zcmi_old_clm )
select u.emp_num, j.reg_num, (sum(j.total_miles) - sum(nvl(j.h2o_miles,0))) nt, 
[COLOR=red](CASE when min(j.journey_date) < :sdate then 'Y' else '' end) old_claim[/color]				   
from cm_users u, cm_claims c, cm_journeys j
where u.emp_num=c.emp_num
and c.claim_num=j.claim_num
and trunc(j.approval_date) between trunc(:sdate) and trunc(:edate) 
group by u.emp_num, j.reg_num

I have tried replacing the case statement with a local function to return the desired result but this didn't work as it's an insert over a database link and required changing some global parameters which I cannot change.

Many thanks,
Hazel

try this:
Code:
(DECODE(SIGN(min(j.journey_date) - :sdate),-1,'Y','')) old_claim
[3eyes]

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
The person who says it can't be done should not interrupt the person doing it. -- Chinese proverb

Wow, I never would have thought of that!

It works perfectly, thanks a million.

Hazel

Hazel,

Here in Utah, "ZCMI" is a very famous initialisation for the name of the very first department store in the western United States. Out of curiosity, what does ZCMI stand for in your application?

[santa]Mufasa
(aka Dave of Sandy, Utah, USA)
[I can provide you with low-cost, remote Database Administration services: see our website and contact me via www.dasages.com]

Hi Santa,

the table "zcmintranet" is part of our Human Resources system - the "cmi" stands for "car mileage intranet".

I'm not too sure why it's prefixed with a "z" - possibly because it's an extra table not included in the standard build of the application. All fields in the table are prefixed by "zcmi".

Not very exciting really! [glasses]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back