Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with dates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tropometer

Instructor
May 23, 2024
FR
Hi guys ;)
I am having a frustrating problem with dates.
I have some data that I am formulating and in one column there are dates.
For some reason beyond my ability to understand in the dates column when it goes (I use Australian dates)
when it goes from 13/06/2024 to the 12/06/2024 excel changes the date to 6/12/2024, this then goes 6/11/2024, 6/10/2024 until it goes to the 31/05/2024 which changes back to the usual date format until it hits the 12th then it changes to 5/12/2024. it seems to break into American dates for some reason, any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Hi,

Read this FAQ first.

faq68-5827

Check your regional settings.
FORMAT the range that you want your dates in BEFORE you enter the data. If you're using a Structured Table (Insert > Tables > Table) format the first and only row's date cell(s), the format will propagate as you add rows.

Your visible date is just a number, starting with January 1, 1900 having a value of 1.

The problem occurs at the time that you enter your date in the way that Excel parses the string that you entered and 1) assumes that it is a date and then 2) converts the string to a number.

FYI: you can test to see if you have REAL DATES as follows:
1) Select the entire range (column)
2) Change the Number Format to General--All REAL DATES become numbers (whole numbers are Date Only, decimal numbers are Date & Time)
3) Hit the Redo button to return to the original format

Let us know if you have success or not.

Skip,
[sub]
[glasses]Just traded in my OLD subtlety...
for a NUance![tongue][/sub]
"The most incomprehensible thing about the universe is that it is comprehensible" A. Einstein

You Matter...
unless you multiply yourself by the speed of light squared, then...
You Energy!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back