Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with data migration

Status
Not open for further replies.

meckeard

Programmer
Aug 17, 2001
US
Hi,

I inherited a database that stores all of our telecommunication bill information (phone, pager, cell, etc) and need some help in importing the data to a newer table design.

Each bill received usually gets allocated to many departments. HR pays x amount, Marketing pays x amount, etc.
So, if a bill comes in and it gets allocated (or charged) to 5 different departments, 5 entries were made in the old table.

The table layout was flat. One table held everything. I changed it to a relational design. Now I need a little help getting the data in to the new tables.

I changed it to 2 tables. One is tblBilling (parent record), the other is tblAllocation (child records).

In the new layout, for every bill we receive, 1 record always gets inserted in to tblBilling. Then, for every department that pays a piece, I insert 1 allocation record.

Since the old table has what I now consider the allocation (or child) records, I need to create the billing record for each group and insert it in to the billing table.

This I can do. I used a "select sum(amount) into tblBilling from tblOldAllocation...group by..." to create the parent records.

What I can't do is figure out how to get the newly created PK (Billing_ID) from tblBilling back in to tblAllocation so that I can create the relationship between the billing record and the allocation records.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Mark

I'd say make sure your tblAllocation contains a field of the same datatype as your billing_ID. Then write a script (possibly using a cursor) that compares every row from your tblAllocation to the data in your tblBilling (provided you still have a column to make the match) and updates the key field in tblAllocation accordingly. When that's done, you can create the FK constraint on the two fields.
Succes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back