Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with data access pages

Status
Not open for further replies.

linuxjr

Programmer
Jun 2, 2001
US
First thank you all for helping me with my previous problems and I got them working now. I am now trying to make some data access pages. I have a few questions:

1) Lets use the problem I have used for my other posts I want to enter a Permit # on the data access page and there are many records so yes like a datasheet view. How do I get this done in a data access page seems I can only get one line.

2) I am trying to make this database sit on a server for the network and have the access page on the web server. Someone told me the only way for that to work is a split database. Now I don't understand is I have to have the data access page with the database or can't the page be on the web Server and the database on the server where only certain folks can get at it?

Thanks for all your help and if anyone knows of good sites to find some information on data access pages I would appreciate that. Have a nice day.

Anyone able to help me with this please? I can make data access pages make functions to do certain things but having trouble trying to produce a table of records for an entry say I type #1000 should show four records but any suggestions or sites be appreciated.

Anyone? I guess its true that data access pages are not used very often. But if anyone can offer some pointers I really appreciate it.

linuxjr,

The data access page sits on a server and does not need access for someone to use it. It is, in essence, a front end to your "back-end" database. I am in the process of trying to figure out DAPs myself and have found so far that they don't like combo boxes or tables without referential integrity. Here is a link that I got from another thread, but I don't remember the thread number.

Clint Galliano
Halliburton Energy Services
BAROID PSL
"Done ONCE, Done RIGHT!"

The thread is thread181-800833

Clint Galliano
Halliburton Energy Services
BAROID PSL
"Done ONCE, Done RIGHT!"

milcman is correct. A DAP is simply an html file which resides on your web server. Where the data resides is up to you. Your tables can reside in an Access database or SQL server.

DAP do not support the datasheet view (at least Access 2000 version). However, you can "group" data. But once you do, you are not allowed to edit it.

On thing you could try would be to create an html page with 2 frames. The first frame would contain your DAP and the 2nd frame would contain the Office Spreadsheet ActiveX control. Haven't tryed it, but seems like it should work.

By the way, I don't believe DAP care about Referential integrity. However, they do require that your table has a primary key defined (or unique key).

Just a follow up...It appears that you may be able to edit data in groups with Access 2003 (and maybe 2002), but not positive. Haven't had a chance to play with it yet.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back