Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with cord choice for redundant power supply

Status
Not open for further replies.

melindac

IS-IT--Management
May 20, 2005
US
Hello,
I'm purchasing a Dell 2850 that will be rack mounted, and I have to choose between y cords and straight cords for the redundant power supply.
Can anyone tell me the difference or the pros and cons?

I'm sure this is an ignorant question, so any education you can offer me would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Melinda

Use a Y cord if you only have one UPS unit or the servers are getting power from outlet(s) which are on the same leg of of a 3 phase power distribution feed.

If you have two UPS units or your server room outlet are feed by 2 different legs of a 3 phase distribution, get two cords. Best to have circuit feeds to any server room on different power distribution legs, even with UPS units. If there is a power outage, utilities try to maintain at least of leg of the distribution power, if at all possible.
As in New York during the last blackout, the utility killed power, but the phase leg which is often given to commercial concerns was live most of the time, in the 24 hour period.

Best to get the separate cords.

Chernobyl disaster..a must see pictorial

We use 2 cords ourselves, one into mains and one into UPS supply - our electricians were a bit dubious about this but it seems to work.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back