Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with configuring a Linux to a NT Server

Status
Not open for further replies.

JungleMonkey

Programmer
Aug 18, 2002
US
I am new to the hardware world. My boss wants me to configure a linux server to my NT Server. Can you tell me the general procedure on how to do this.
I have a topology of a Windows NT Server and an RS\6000 AIX Server. I want all three servers to be connected. Any advice on how to get started would be greatly appreciated.

1: What services do you need to talk to the NT Domain. Meaning is this supposed to be a Web Server, Mail Server, Ftp Server, DHCP Server, File Server etc.. So the main question really is "What are you trying to accomplish, how do the servers need to talk to each other?" Once you decide on how they need to talk to each other, then you can implement.

2: I am assuming get connected means File Sharing. To do this you will need to configure Samba on the *nix servers. Samba is the *nix CIFS implementation.

Do you want to have the *nix machines authenticate against the NT Server?

If yes you will need to join the NT4 Domain. this involves configuring your smb.conf which is the samba configuration file. You will need to say where the domain server is.

This will get you started, once we know what you are trying to do, then we can help get you there. :)

Hi clonny2..

I've been trying to configure my SUSE 9 server to authenticate Samba 3.0.4 against our Windwos NT4 Domain.. But I haven't had a lot of luck so far.. I have been successful to join the domain.. I can not use any of the Domain accounts to logon to the linux server.. If I hand create a user account in samba, the Windows machines can connect to it.. I'm not wanting to have to hand create all the accounts.. I would like winbind to handle that for me.. When if use wbinfo -u (or -g) it shows me all the Domain users and groups.. No problem there... Can you tell me what files I have to alter and what the aulterations would be????

Thanks...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back