Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help with collisions!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

cimd

Programmer
Jul 18, 2001
ES
Hi!!

I'm having some "extrange" problems with my network.

I have a pc connected to a hub and this one to a switch and I can't connect to the network with it (the collision light is on). But, if I put the pc directly connected to the switch, it works properly and if I put the same cable in another computer, this one also works.

Any idea?

thanks

A switch can detect Speed and Duplex of the device connectted to it if the device is set on Auto or Half. or both the switch and the device can be set on Full duplex.
A hub is always a Half duplex device, and usually has a set speed.

So if your PC has either the Speed or Duplex hard coded, then the switch may adjust but the hub cannot.

Assuming Windows: Start > Settings > Control Panels > Networks
Choose the adaptor choose Properties and look for a setting (often under advanced) for the speed and duplex of that card. Try setting them to Auto.

(another choice would be if the switch auto dectects both straight through and cross over cables, but that is rarer)

I tried to remain child-like, all I acheived was childish.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back