Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with code on Stopping Window's Services

Status
Not open for further replies.

ranshe

Programmer
Oct 5, 2004
US
I need help on getting the following code to run!

I have been testing some code from the "MS 2000 Scripting Guide". Its link is:

This code was referenced in thread707-930084; The reference was in the 3rd response of this thread(from PVS).

The web site code with its preceding comments is as follows:

Scripting Steps
The scripts for stopping and starting dependent services perform similar steps but in the opposite order
Stopping dependent services

Listing 15.16 contains a script that stops the IIS Admin Service and all its dependents. To carry out this task, the script must perform the following steps:

1. Create a variable to specify the computer name.
2. Use a GetObject call to connect to the WMI namespace root\cimv2, and set the impersonation level to "impersonate."
3. Use the ExecQuery method to query the Win32_Service class.
This query must use an Associators of query and specify the following information:
• The instance of the service on which the query is performed (Win32_Service.Name = 'IISAdmin').
• The name of the Association class (AssocClass = Win32_DependentService). If the class name is not specified, the query returns all associated classes and their instances.
• The role played by the IISAdmin Service. In this case, IISAdmin is Antecedent to the services to be returned by the query.
The query returns a collection consisting of all the services dependent on the IIS Admin Service.
4. For each service in the collection, use the StopService method to stop the service.
5. After a stop control has been sent to each dependent service, pause for 60 seconds (60,000 milliseconds) to give the SCM time to stop each service.
6. Use a the ExecQuery method to retrieve the instance of the IISAdmin Service.
7. Use the StopService method to stop the IISAdmin Service.

Listing 15.16 Stopping a Service and Its Dependents

Code:
 strComputer = "."
Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" _
 & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
Set colServiceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
 ("ASSOCIATORS OF {Win32_Service.Name='iisadmin'} WHERE " _
 & "AssocClass=Win32_DependentService Role=Antecedent" )
For Each objService in colServiceList
 errReturn = objService.StopService()
Next
Wscript.Sleep 60000
Set colServiceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery _
 ("SELECT * FROM Win32_Service WHERE Name='iisadmin'")
 errReturn = objService.StopService()
Next

I did not include the Start Services proceedure.

The Problem I am having:
Since I do not have the service 'iisadmin' I switched it in my test code to 'DHCP Client' (which, by the way, has no Dependent Services but I tested it on others that did).
When I ran the code the first occurrance of the line
Code:
got the following error message:
[COLOR=red yellow]
Run-time error
'-2147217406(80041002)':
Automation error[/color]

On the error line, in debug, the "objService" would be "empty" when hovered over by the mouse pointer.

In my debugging process I tried to comment out various portions of code and other such things to no avail. I also tried to read up on the problem at the link and other places without success.

I would greatly appreciate help on how to get this to run.
Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back