Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with Clariion C31006 79300R-F4

Status
Not open for further replies.

awsau

Technical User
May 5, 2005
AU
Hello

I have just picked up a Clariion 79300R-F4 30 slot SCSI array and am not able to get my Dell 6450 server to recognise it. I have 10 disks installed in two lots of 5 in 0 and 1. I have tried connecting via channel A with both two and one Qlogic QLA1401 SCSI cards, via Dell PERC3 and via onboard SCSI without any success. I am unsure of how to configure and was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of theses arrays. Thanks

Without digging into what those controllers are, I'll tell you that the scsi clariion needs a differential controller.
Typically, it is an adaptec 2944UW. Make sure that the diff terminators are in place on the Clariion SP.

Hello Maultier, Thanks for the reply. The cards are QLA1041 and are differential. Could you advise

1. Do you need all 30 slots to be filled with drives for the system to operate?

2. I have found that the BBU warning light is on, will this stop the unit from registering?

3. Can you view system output via serial cable and hyperterminal. If so is it via 9600 8N1?

4. Can you connect via one SCSI cable and card or do you need 2?

Thanks

1. Slots A0, B0, C0 and A3 are the Code drive slots. As long as you have those, you should be able to successfully power up the Clariion. Fibre Clariions require slots 0-8 to be filled.
2. A BBU Fault will prevent you from using write caching which will slow performance.
3. 96 8 even 1 for the serial port. It may not look as though you have anything initially. Try hitting a shift 6.
If that doesn't work input the number one and enter.
4. You can use one controller and one sp with no difficulty.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back