Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with changing translucecnt (colors) of Windows top borders for partially blind

Status
Not open for further replies.

DougP

MIS
Dec 13, 1999
US
I have a cataract in one eye and legally blind in the other and have severe difficulty seeing the light gray partially cloud, half translucent top bar of any window when it's Maximized. This contains the document name and other highly regarded information but yet it’s so obscure in the MAX mode?
I want to change just that. I don’t want the MONO tone Black and White appearance of teh entire screen that can be had. This is an extreme in the otehr direction, it is complete the opposite of the other.
I knew how to adjust most anything in the older Windows, but Win 7 no clue.
Can someone give me a step by step how to change the top bar to a solid color?

TIA

DougP

Well I guess you don't realize how "NICE' looking it is. But you know what it made the top bar Fair, not great but now the bottom bar is too light to be of any use? Oh Boy
its still too light of a color on a way too light of a color? Evidently the designers were under 20 years of age, with 20/0 vision and could different the subtlest of tones like I see black and white.
it’s like the is no in between?
Like I said I just want to change ONE thing the TOP bar! NOT the whole screen.
Is that even possible anymore?

My Father used to tell me all the time "Don't get old"

DougP

Blimey that was hard work, but I think I know what you want:

Control Panel > Personalization > Window Color and Appearance > Advanced Appearance Settings >

Then it's like old school 95/98/ME/XP

Robert Wilensky:
We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.

You can choose an alternate window decoration , like old Windows if you need to for better contrast.
Or simply set your own colors. Just click on Window Color there to make it darker.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Web & Tech

I used the options at the very bottom
What I did was set the desktop background to img7 and the window color to max and unchecked "enable Transperancy"
my task bar is double high and its now a gray color so that shows the icon best for me. teh windows borders aree gray as well. the desktop fonts are white.
so that works OK
that was the biggest issue transperancy

DougP

Make the computer easier to see. Several settings are available to help make the information on the screen easier to see. For example, the display can be magnified, colors can be adjusted to make the screen easier to see and read, and unnecessary animations and background images can be removed. For more information, see Make the computer easier to see."

What accessibility features does Windows offer?

Control Panel\All Control Panel Items\Ease of Access Center

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back