Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with browsing after DCPromo 1

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 17, 2002
CA
I have installed W2K Advanced server on a test server at home. After the initial install I can connect to and browse the Internet no problem. When I run DCPromo, which I need to do in order to install Echange 2000 Server, I can connect to the Internet just fine but I cannot browse. Ant thoughts?

point primary dns on the server's NIC to itself, then use forwarding or root hints in DNS manager to resolve internet addresses.

The server doesn't need to be a DC to install Exchange, I have a member server running Exchange 2000 here. CJ

Don't drink and post, save that for driving home!

Absolutely correct, but if it's his only 2K server, it needs to be a DC.

Sounds very much like name resolution, or lack of at least. When you install Active Directory, it asks weather to create an Active Directory Intergrated DNS zone for your domain. By default it creates a root server.
Open up DNS, expand the server and the Forward Lookup Zones. There you will see a list of the domains served by this server. Delete the . (dot) zone. This . zone specifies that it is a root DNS server at the top of the DNS hirachy, and hence you cannot configure any forwarders. Once this zone is gone, right click on the server, goto properties, select the forwarders tab and add your ISP's DNS servers to the forwarders list. Then any DNS request that your DNS server cannot resolve will be forwarded to one of the servers in the list or using the root hints. If you dont know your DNS servers try using:

Hope this helps....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back