Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with browser hijacker

Status
Not open for further replies.

DoahMonty

IS-IT--Management
May 15, 2006
US
Not sure if I'm in the right place, this was the closest forum I could find for my issue. I'm NOT running XP, I'm running Vista Home Premium. While using Internet Explorer (I prefer that over other browsers, spare me the hate mail lol), and I use a search engine, EVERY time I click on one of my results, I'm redirected to random sites. I recently cleaned up some mal ware on the computer and I'm guessing this is just left over.

I'm using Avast AV, and I've tried resetting IE back to all defaults. It's more annoying than anything and I'm hoping someone can point me in the right direction.

Virus scans are coming up clean fyi.

thanks in advance.

Vista forum here: forum1583

but for starters, try running the free version of malwarebytes from here:

You should also want to run hijackthis, and post the log it produces. sounds like IE has been hijacked by something.

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Hi,
Sadly it seems you got hit with the overclick.cn trojan...It is very tricky and most anti-virus/anti-spyware programs miss it.

Here is some info on the steps needed to remove it:

Overclick.cn - Google Redirect

Here is more info on using ComboFix..

[profile]

To Paraphrase:"The Help you get is proportional to the Help you give.."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back