Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with ASP app for tracking training sessions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr00bie

Programmer
Feb 19, 2004
US
I have been working on a Training database here at work, and have almost finished it, but am lacking a way to insert and update a bunch of records at once.

I am needing to figure out how to insert up to 450 records from an ASP page, but the kicker is that I need for the user to choose an employee name from a dropdown box for each record. Currently my insert page has 25 dropdowns for Employee name, and even though I am using arrays to populate the dropdowns, the page takes 5 seconds to load. The page with 475 dropdowns takes about 1 minute to load.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Drew

Since it is training for work I am assuming this is for internal use at your work and not for a public site.

Working on that assumption, it is probably fair to guess that most of your users have the same or similar browser configuration.

Now, assuming all users have JavaScript enabled browers, and also assuming that the same set of names will appear in each dropdown list... suppose you used Server-Side ASP to write Client-Side JavaScript code. If you could do this then you could write all of the names to a single JavaScript array and then use some client-side script tied to the browser's onLoad event to actually populate each of the dropdown listboxes. This way you only have to send one list of names and then the browser will do the work of putting the same list into each box.

You are correct, this will only be used by 1 person (maybe another in the future), and will only be used when a massive training session is taught. We have a standard browser configuration that all users use (cross-browser compliance is still a priority though, in case the browser configuration changes), and javascript is always turned on.

I will see what I can do with what you have suggested, and see if it will cut down the loading time of the page.

Thanks,
Drew

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back