Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP WITH ACCESS->SQL MULTIPLE OFFICES

Status
Not open for further replies.

HenryE

IS-IT--Management
Apr 30, 2002
US
Help would greatly be appreciated for the following:

My department is upgrading from an Access database that runs over Citrix (very painful) to SQL Server 2000. This database would need to be accessed by a couple of office locations. Eventually, this database would need to be accessible via the corporate intranet, but for now, that's not necessary, just plain old server accessibility will do.

Anybody have any suggestions/experiences they could share about how to make this as painless and quick as possible?

Thanks much.

Henry

Well, if we're talkin' a single MS Access frontend/backend database (as I'm guessin' it'll be with Citrix) then you'll probably have to change quite a bit of the frontend to use a more client-server approach. codestorm
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
select * from population where talent > 'average'
<insert witticism here>

I have a SQL Server 2000 application with a access 2000 front-end with multiple users. Users can enter new records but when they try to update an existing record access id giving a &quot;write conflict&quot; error. I presume this is as a result of locking in SQL Server - any ideas on howI get around this problem ?

Thoughts (too late at night for real suggestions):
1. Use SPs with transactions and table hints (see SQLBOL).
2. Don't use datagrids and don't bind fields to data - use
ADO programmatically to access backend.
3. Close connections when not in use. codestorm
Fire bad. Tree pretty. - Buffy
select * from population where talent > 'average'
<insert witticism here>

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back