Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help with a CGI Script wanted

Status
Not open for further replies.

tanujm

MIS
Mar 20, 2003
AU
Hi

I am trying to Install a CGI Script - which takes care of bounces from a mailing list. I found it at one of the CGI scripts website.

Before I tell my problem I will give a small background to what I want.

I have a mailing list (not spaming list) of our clients but a lot of the email address are obsolute. I wanted to filter it to have a list of running email addresses and then correct the bad ones later.

This CGi script (supposedly) does just that. According to its documentation (if u call 10 lines a documentation - not helpful to someone trying to work his first CGI script) users just have to create a 2 files called emails.txt and logs.txt with CHMOD 777 permission on server and put this cgi file in the cgi folder. The emails.txt should have 1 email per line and nothing else.

the cgi file itself has place to put the details of the POP account to be checked. It can be configured to remove any emails coming to a particular email address - so all bounces will be removed automatically.

I have done everything right (atleast i think so :) ) but i cant get this to run. I tried sending a email to a particular address - and ran the cgi script from the browser - if it would have worked it would have removed that email from the emails.txt file - as it is configured to remove any emails coming to that email address.

:( BUT it keeps on saying "0 added 0 removed 0 deleted from server". and add a entry to the log file saying "could not find email address "xyz@xyz.com". this email address is in the emails.txt file - so i dont know why it cant find it!!

Any suggestions would be very very helpful.

Thanks.

Tanuj

Can you give us the address of the script (I.e where you found it).

Is case sensitivity an issue?

Paul

Do you have access to the proper mail system(s) on your server? Is your host catching the bounce before it gets back to you?

There's always a better way...

Thanks Paul & Tviman for your replies.

The script in question is the AML CGI Script at:

Tviman - Yes I have access to the server's mail system - Re. your 2nd ques - "Is your host catching the bounce before it gets back to you?" - I have no Idea - how do i check?

Any suggestions on how to make this script work would be welcome.

Thanks again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back