Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help With 4500 VLAN configuration - tagged vs untagged

Status
Not open for further replies.

scornflake

Technical User
Mar 7, 2003
US
Hello all,

At the risk of asking something that's been covered extensively, I'm still having trouble with this one, and I hope you'll bear with me.

I have a Cisco 1231AP access point that I have configured with two SSID's, each pointing to a different VLAN (I'll be getting to the 3Com switch part, I promise). Let's say that SSID 1 "Private" is on VLAN 1, and SSID 2, "Public" is on VLAN 3.

I need to get the one port that this AP plugs into on the 3Com 4500 to participate in BOTH VLANs, right? I've got ports 1-15 on the switch as VLAN1, and ports 17-48 on VLAN3. Port 16, that the AP connects to needs to be in both VLAN1 and VLAN3. The problem I seems to be running across, is which (if any) of these ports should be/need to be tagged?

since VLAN1 is the default VLAN, do I need to make VLAN2 (not yet in existance) that "private" network and VLAN3 the "public"? (in other words, does it mater that I'm trying to comingle VLAN1(native) and VLAN3? Would I be better off comingling VLAN2 and VLAN3, and leaving VLAN1 basically empty?
Also, does the port 16 (for the AP) need to be a hybrid (or trunk, or access)?
What would be most helpful would be a listing of what VLANs I should have, which ports should be in each, the type of those ports.

I really though I understood this, but I can only access the network when connecting to the "Private" (VLAN1) network via the SSID 1.

Thanks in advance.

Make port 16 a trunk (or hybrid) and a tagged member of the VLANs you want to use. Make sure your IPs are consistent with the VLANs you're attaching to.

Me personally, I would use another VLAN for your private and use the Default (VLAN 1) to manage the device.

But that's just me.

A little more detail for you scornflake...

All switches have by default 1 VLAN to which all ports belong (untagged) and not unreasonably that is called VLAN 1!

So the first thing to decide is which SSID goes where - having agreed that SSID 1 is in VLAN 1 (like the logic there) then you do NOT have to do anything more to the ports that are only going to need to access that network. So by default ports 1-15 are already in the correct VLAN.

If SSID 2 is in VLAN 3 then you need to make that the default VLAN for ports 17 to 48 - you do that by changing them to untagged ports in that VLAN - this will remove them from VLAN 1 and put them in VLAN 3.

Port 16 is a "special" port, as IRudebwoy suggests, this port needs to be in both VLANS to pass all the relevant traffic - to do this it needs to be untagged in VLAN 1 and Tagged in VLAN 3. You also need to ensure that the Cisco end of Port 16 is tagged in a similar way using the same VLAN numbers.

-Blue
The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of thinking we were at when we created them

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back