Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP WIRING!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Spiderdan1016

Technical User
Aug 30, 2004
US
i am wiring a small business network. i did all the jacks using B wiring. i am now punching down to the patch panel. I am punching the patch panel type B like i should. when i plug the tester in i continue to get pairs 3-6 and 7-8 switched. Any ideas? i know both ends are punched down correctly

Maybe you are color blind and have difficulty telling green from brown. In the 568B green is on 3-6 and brown is on 7-8.

Here is a link to some color blindness tests:

You might want to have another person check (preferably an female) your terminations to see if this is the problem. If you do have a color blindness problem don't dispair! You can learn to tell the difference by compairing the rate of twist.

When I remove 3" of cat5e jacket I get the following twist counts. I count twists by the number of times the color wire comes up on top.

blue 6
green 5
orange 4
green 3

Just a thought...

Whoops!

blue 6
green 5
orange 4
brown 3

wires- that is interesting. I am slightly colorblind (I get about half of that test correct)
I have never heard of this rate of twist method. Is it an industry standard that all cat5e cabling has this?

All of the multi-pair twisted pair cables I am familiar with have different rates of twist for the different pairs. You might have to strip back more jacket to discern the difference on some.

My thought was that many color blind (mostly white males) people have difficulty with green. My wife claims I have problems with green but I don't think so. Since the OP was having problems with 3-6 and 7-8 it could be that the green and brown were getting confused in the typical low light situations where cables tend to be terminated. Remember EVERYONE is color blind in low light since the rods (B&W) take over for the cones (color) in the cornea.

With vision it is all a matter of degree and deterioration is normal...

WHOOPS AGAIN!!

Remember EVERYONE is color blind in low light since the rods (B&W) take over for the cones (color) in the RETINA.

I need to do a little more proofing before hitting Submit Post. Sorry

I know I always have trouble with the violets on a 25 pair. Especially with certain manufacturers; V-GR, V-BR, seem to take longer for me to identify.

I figured out what the problem was...the patch cable i was using in the tester was no good...what a waste of time.

always KISS (keep it simple stupid) than look for the deeper issues.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back