Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!! Windows98 only opens in DOS...what should I do??

Status
Not open for further replies.

pewilson

Technical User
Mar 9, 2001
US
I recenty got a computer from a friend not knowing what problems really existed. When starting the computer up, the computer went directly to "c:/".This imeditate concerned me in that the computer was up and running not too long ago. Since im a novice at trying to fix problems like this I am without a clue to what steps I need to take in trying to solve the problem. Do I need to restall the CD or do I trying using a boot disk to get it up and running again? If anyone can give detailed step-by-step directions in solving this I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank You.

The first thing I would probably try and do is type win at the command prompt. If it loads windows...great. Then you can just add win to the last line of your autoexec.bat and you are good to go. Otherwise, a full CD install would probably be advised. It should see that which is already there and save it for you. Give it a shot.

V

Thank you for the response but I tried the suggestion you gave. But without success I was unable to bring the Windows back up. So I will be re-installing windows again. But thanks for the advice.

PW

Do you not, -forgive if wrong- have to be at C:\windows for the "win" command to work?

Look for a while at various threads on here where people tell about problems reinstalling. It is a simple process but windows will only go on when the original install is partially removed to its satisfaction. It isn't just throw the cd in and go. Ed Fair
efair@atlnet.com

Any advice I give is my best judgement based on my interpretation of the facts you supply.

Help increase my knowledge by providing some feedback, good or bad, on any advice I have given.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back