Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help wih "public" thingys please 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

nevstic

Instructor
Jul 30, 2002
GB
hi everyone could you help me understand public functions or global things with the following example please.
I have the folowing piece of code which helps me to "check digit" an eight figure number.It is on a bound text box in a form and only refers to that text box.IE using "Me"
What I would like to do is make this code available to other text boxes in other forms.I think that you call this a global module (I'm a learner here).

Private Sub HAWBNO_Enter()
If IsNumeric(Me!AWP) Then
If Val(Left(Me!AWBNO, 7)) Mod 7 = Val(Right(Me!AWBNO, 1)) Then
Me!AWBNO.ForeColor = 16711680
Else 'error in check digit
MsgBox "ERROR ! AWB CHECK DIGIT", 48, "ERROR"
End If
End If
End Sub
Please try to keep it in simple language as I am trying to learn from scratch here.
Many thanks for your patience.
best rgds
Nick

Well you need to convert this into a public function that takes a couple of parameters instead of referencing two fields on your form. SOmething like:
Code:
Public Function CheckDigit(ctlAWP As Control, ctlAWBNO As Control)
If IsNumeric(ctlAWP.Value) Then
    If Val(Left(ctlAWBNO.Value, 7)) Mod 7 = Val(Right(ctlAWBNO.Value, 1)) Then
        ctlAWBNO.ForeColor = 16711680
    Else 'error in check digit
        MsgBox "ERROR ! AWB CHECK DIGIT", 48, "ERROR"
    End If
End If
End Function
Put this code in a Module of its own, rather than in a form's module and then it should be available to multiple forms.

To call this function from your original form, put the following in the OnEnter event of the HAWBNO field:
Code:
Private Sub HAWBNO_Enter()
    Call CheckDigit(Me.AWP, Me.AWBNO)
End Sub
Hope this helps.

[pc2]

Many many thanks for your quick reply, I will work on this.
thanks also for your explanation.

best rgds
Nick

Hi there again
that worked just beautifully ! and also helped me to understand. Could I prevail on you to explain on other thing
for me.

Could I have used the Control scource for referencing the name of this public function or is that something completely different ?
rgds
Nick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back