Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP...Why has my internet connection so slow 4

Status
Not open for further replies.

wshand

Technical User
Jun 29, 2007
GB
Ive had some issues with my laptop recently. First my wireless kept saying it was connected, but when I attempted to use Explorer it wouldnt connect, but if i rebooted everything it worked for a while before doing the same, I eventually got bored of this so removed the belkin information and tried to reinstall and now it doesnt work at all!! I have now disabled the wireless and using the ethernet cable direct from my modem which was working fine but the last few days it been taking ages to load web pages and its so frustrating. I dont know where to start to try and resolve this...can anyone help ?????

is this a cable, dsl, or dialup modem?

virgin broadband...not dial up so im guessing cable ??

does your phone line plug into the modem or do you have a connection to the wall via a cable tv type cable?

plugs into a connection on the wall via cable box for digital tv

ive just updated the Realtek Ethernet Driver and rebooted...thats made a slight difference but still not as quick as it was.

if you have Windows Software Explorer check out what programs are running @ startup. if you don't have that, then search for a program called Autoruns by Systernals and check out your startups.

are you running any real-time firewall or AV software?

if you are in an area (such as a large housing development) then you are sharing the bandwidth with many others. some of them may be using a lot of streaming or gaming programs and that will slow down your connection as well.

I'm assuming you're running thru a cable connection. Did you double check your connections to your wireless router from your modem? Do you run any AV or AS apps on a regular basis & keep them updated as well as all Windows critical updates?
In IE, click on tools -> Intenet Options -> click on the Delete button in Browsing history -> then click on Delete files, Delete cookies & finally Delete history. See if that speeds up your PC.
If your router connections are secure, you can contact Belkin Tech support in the US @ 800-223-5546. They offer free support.
From the symptoms you're giving, you've either got a lot of crap on your PC hogging up resources or a bug/malware slowing things down. Give more data to get better answers.

Bob B-)

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! [medal]

when deleting all cookies you may have to re-register on some sites you visit frequently. so if you have a cookie editing capability - use that instead of deleting all cookies.

I would get a program like
NetMeter
to determine how my downloading is really acting.
It is simple program that shows downloading speed, I find it useful in determining if there is a problem.

Never Say Never (Romeio Void)

Homebuilt MSI MD5000MD-5000 M-ATX, 2.4Gig, 393mb, WinXp Pro
Homebuilt Iwill KK266R-Plus, 768mb, WinXp Pro

Ok....First off, yes i regularly delete temp files, cookies etc. Yes I get regular windows updates, I dont use AVG anymore just Norton 2008. When I had all the problems before I pulled everything off the laptop and restarted, I dont use any games and stuff only microsoft office, internet and I have pics saved so cant possibly be using up all resources. Bug/malware...possibly ?? -wouldnt Norton have ID this ?

With regards to wireless...i simply just dont get it !!! Im not on a network...just the laptop no other computers in the house and whenever i read about wireless it always refers to networks....so Im waiting on a tekki freind coming back from holiday who is going to come and have a look at it.

To be fair...since I updated driver last night, laptop seems to be performing better.

Thanks for all your help

If you're using either a wireless connection or an Ethernet connection, you have formed a Local Area Network (LAN), albeit you only have two devices.

Forgetting wireless for the moment, the fact that your direct cable connection was working ok but is now slow, suggests that resources are being used up somewhere. Can you check your connection to a known good website at different times of the day? Any changes in speed?

If it now seems slow all the time, then check out the following:-

1. Run Adaware SE, Spybot, CWShredder and HijackThis, to clear out any unwanteds in your laptop.

2. Check you have plenty of free hard disk space.

3. Run XP's Disk Defragmentation programme.

4. Run MSCONFIG and check out what's being loaded at startup.

5. Check that you don't have remnants of other antivirus and firewall software running at the same time as Norton 2008.

What CPU and how much RAM does your laptop have? Like its predecessors, Norton 2008 is very resource hungry, and can seriously impact on the speed of an older machine.

ROGER - G0AOZ.

As Roger mentioned, Norton eats up resources especially if you have Live Update enabled. Download & run Process Explorer @

It gives more info than Windows Task Manager as to what's running, using how much resources & who manufactured the app.

You might also consider downloading Belarc Advisor @

It will give you a detailed profile of your system including all software running. Print out the results & you'll have a hard copy image of your system at that time.
If you download HijackThis, download it to its own folder & run Scan only. Post the log here before making any changes.

Bob B-)

Remember, if you can't stand behind our troops, feel free to stand in front of them! {medal]

If you are on Virginmedia Broadband and have virus/spyware issues, use the Virgin-supplied software called PCGuard. It is free and works well.

I am on Virginmedia broadband (formerly Telewest Blueyonder) and I use PCGuard on the 3 machines in my house and have never had an issue.

To download it, go to and choose PCGuard from the Customer Zone menu bar. Note: it will only register and work if you are using Virginmedia Broadband.

--------------------------------------
"Insert funny comment in here!"
--------------------------------------

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back