Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help w/ Multiple VPN Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcunnin

IS-IT--Management
Oct 11, 2002
US
I've been asked to look into setting up all of our remote sites with VPN access to our main location.

I do not want to use VPN software on clients and would rather have the firewalls/vpn devices perform the VPN'ing and have the remote clients be totally unaware of any VPNs.

I was considering using a PIX 515E at the main site and 501's at the 5 remote sites to VPN Peer back to the 515E. All of the devices using 3DES as well.

It has been explained to me by a Cisco Rep that they can do such things but Sonicwall cannot. Is this true? Sonicwall has not replied to my inquiry.

I have had another person tell me that Sonicwall can do it but I can't find any information on VPN peering on Sonicwalls sight.

Yes, you can have two sonicwall doing a vpn and having client's workstation transparent w/o vpn client software. The way our company set up the VPN w/ branch offices: We've got Sonicwall pro 300 for our corporate office and sonicwall soho 3 for our branch offices.

At the risk of opening up a debate about which firewall is best . . .

I ahve used netscreens for a few years now. Main offices were using netscreen 100's and branch offices netscreen 10's (12 branch offices). It was a large mesh where each office had a tunnel to almost every other office.

Here we have a smaller set up. 3 offices - NS25's in 2 of them and an NS5XP in the smaller one. Setting up the IKE VPN with preshared key took about 5 minutes in total. Complete mesh where each office speaks directly to the other offices. Simple to set up and simple to manage.

It all depends on your budget.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back