Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help w/ Booting off SATA drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

malveille

Technical User
Nov 2, 2003
US
Hello,

I'm having trouble booting off a new maxtor SATA HD i bought. I tried the suggested way (reinstall Xp, hit f6, use driver floppy). But XP could not find the Disk, and would not install. (Yes, i had used MaxBlast to format the drive in NTFS)

I am currently booting of my old HD, and able to recognize and use my SATA drive. But i'm not sure how to make it into my boot drive through XP. I'm unfamiliar w/ SATA HDs since they don't use IDE.

I tried using a direct drive to drive copy w/ maxblast over to my SATA hd, but can't force the system to boot off of it (through BIOS or through the OS).

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Is your SATA enabled in the bios?
And is it set as a boot device?
Martin

Replying helps further our knowledge, without comment leaves us wondering.

For what it's worth, I recently set up a Maxtor SATA drive with no difficulty, but I did not use Maxblast. I would suggest removing the format from the drive (low-level format, write zeroes to drive), then try again, allowing Windows to format the drive. Another recommendation, if your motherboard is using the Silicon Image 3112 controller, use the latest one off the Silicon Image site. If it's from Promise, still make sure you're using the latest driver. Give it a go. Good luck.

Thanks for your help guys. I was able to get windows to recognize the Hard Drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back