Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!! URGENT

Status
Not open for further replies.

chukws

Technical User
May 20, 2002
FI
I have 40GB of HDD and wants to install Win NT 4.0 on a partition of 10GB and Oracle Database on 18GB logical drive on NT enviroment, and the rest for XP, but my problem is that NT can show or see the logical drive or see the whole disk space as to allow me parition the remaing space using disk Aministrator. Please how can I solve this problem.

This makes me mad too. Windows NT must be installed on the first partition of the hard-drive. If you already have C: designated for another OS, NT will not install. It will complain that &quot;C:\ is too large to format.&quot; Even if you point the install at free-space at the end of the drive. Also, NT will not see a partition that is 10GB. What you will need to do is install NT first on the first partition of the hard-drive. That partition must be <= 4GB. Apply SP6, and use Partition Magic to grow the partition to 10GB. Then install XP and Oracle.

Good Luck

Warning! Please read &quot;Windows NT 4.0 Supports Maximum of 7.8-GB System Partition&quot;
It will cause problems later as the file system grows. We had issues when installing security patches (BSOD) on large partitions. There seem to be some workarounds on this but haven't tried any of them. Good luck.

But Partition magic does not support NT 4.0 Server or any server at all. You Can't get in

Chukws

When you install NT Server, it actually Formats the disk as FAT, then when it has compied the files the HDD, it reboots and then converts it to NTFS. Its a real pain in the backside. Partition Magic does work with FAT, FAT32, NTFS (V4,V5). NT has to be install on the first partition. I know I've done it!

Sorry, I don't know why it did not occur to me that you meant Windows NT SERVER, especially since we are in the Windows NT Server forum. My fault. Yes, you are correct that Partition Magic does not work on Windows NT Server, and browolf is also correct about ServerMagic. I've used it and it is really cool. It even allows you to resize partitions on-the-fly. Or you might just stick with the 4GB initial partition for the OS, and create a second NT partition for your data.

Bernies, this is the problen, can be able to crate another partition after installing NT serveron 4GB. It can't show all the remaining all free space. It shows about 4-9GB and where is the rest. This is the problem. I want to create a logical partition of about 20GB in the NT environment, the the space am see after installation is far below.

Thanks browolf for the server Magic, I will check it out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back