Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help URGENT, controllor w2000 reboots.

Status
Not open for further replies.

rvarman

IS-IT--Management
Apr 24, 2003
FR
hi,

my controllor windows 2000 where there is also exchange 2000 reboots repeatedly.
i could not go into the directory service restore mode.
i could just go into sos mode.
It's doing more than 40°C at Paris which may cause the problem.
what can i do?

your suggestions are welcome.

You have to get into the event viewer and see what the root cause of the problem is. If you suspect Tempature issues than try additional temporary cooling to see if it resolves it, if not than look for imminent hardware failure coming soon.

GSFDigital

No, it doesn't talk about temperature.
At boot, it could not load many drivers

One possibility could be memory failure or overheating. Make sure all hardware in the box is operating properly.

Rico

from1 5 PM (for the last 2 hrs)
this is the 1st time it occurs

Have you tried booting from the last know good configuration?

Event logs will not tell you anything about temperature. It doesn't have a thermometer inside, it just starts behaving very oddly with random results, with the most common problem being freezing at random times. I once had a laptop whose fan stopped working and I didn't notice. I would be playing a game and it would freeze for no apparent reason. I finally noticed that the fan was dead and ordered a new one. While waiting for the new one to arrive, I just couldn't stay away from my game (can you say ADDICT? :) ) so I set up a box fan right in front of the laptop's vent and let it blow while I played. It worked.

Cooling problems can definitely cause CPU problems, but it may or may not be your problem. What are some of the specific error messages you are getting?

- Zoe, that's ZOH-EEE, get it right please
- Just a little ol' MCP at Solien Technology
-

last know good configuration? doesn't work - it reboots

ntbtlog.txt:
Loaded driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\Beep.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\sglfb.SYS
Did not load driver \SystemRoot\System32\Drivers\tga.SYS
Did not load driver ACPI Uniprocessor PC
Did not load driver Audio Codecs
Did not load driver Legacy Audio Drivers
Did not load driver Media Control Devices
and many like this

from the log:
unable to read IO control info from nbt device

i'm at windows 2000 sp3.
i've again repassed SP3 today.
Is there anything to do with

Are you able to boot into Safe Mode? If so, you may want to try stepping through the booting process to see which part is specifically causing the spontaneous reboot to occur.

-

The 40 degree Cent. is 104 degrees F, and the temperature inside the drives, etc. will be much higher. I suggest you take the system down until you can solve the heat issues, as you are pushing the survivability of the entire box at this point from heat. You may have already damaged the drives at this point. Most systems are only rated to about 95 degrees F. and you are beyond that, continued operation is risking major equipment failure/damage at 104+.

Once the heat issue is reesolved, you will need to rule out that the system has not been nailed with a virus (good move anytime erratic activity starts to happen).

Failure to load drivers could be because the spot on the disk where the file resides is going bad, so run chkdsk on the drives where the OS resides. Will it boot into safe mode? IF so, then go there to run all the tests (note: this also works for the virus infections many times, as the virus programs may not be loaded in safe mode). Scan the system toeliminate virus damage and physical drive damage, then owrk on other tests.

In ANY EVENT, TURN THE SYSTEMS OFF UNTIL YOU RESOLVE THE HEAT. Loss of the system access versus total hardware loss is a whole lot cheaper, especially if these are expensive servers, etc.

HTH

David

the room is climatised and the temperature shd be at 27°C.
there are also 5 other machines which run.

i can boot into safe mode. i've configured the network card with an adress ip and could ping other machines in the subnet.

but now i've to get the AD up and also exchange.
what can i do further?

Let's summarize what your current set of problems are, as I understand them:

1. If you boot regularly the machine will reboot itself spontaneously and continuously. The errors you see are in the log you posted.

2. You can boot into Safe Mode and have limited network access.

Since you can boot into Safe Mode, it indicates that one of the devices or drivers that loads during a normal boot is causing the spontaneous reboot. I believe if you press F8 to get the boot menu, one of the items you can choose is to step through the boot process. (I forget exactly what that menu item is called, but it should be obvious.) This will pause at every line in the bootup sequence and ask you whether or not you want to execute it. Keep saying yes until you encounter the item that causes reboot. When it reboots choose to step through it again, and this time choose not to execute that line. If everything else loads fine, then you have isolated which item is causing your problems.

-

packdragon,
it's nice what you are saying.
but i don't find find step by step mode.
the safe mode takes me directly to windows.
i keep searching.

I tried turning on one of the spare Win2000 boxes laying around here and looking at the boot options when I hit F8... and I don't see it there either!! But I have seen it before on some machines. Darn it, I think it's a Windows 98 option. Sorry about that!

Have you tried booting with a Windows 2000 CD and then repairing the installation? There is a Repair option you can choose when you boot from CD.

-

How about booting in safe mode and getting to services, disable the Exchange services then trying a reboot. If system comes up ok, the problem has been narrowed down to the Exchange piece.

Another option is to use safemode, enable boot logging, and this writes a log file as stuff is loaded (written to ntbtlog.txt under the %system%directory. TRy working through first safemode, then safemode with networking. If system becomes unstable with the safemode with networking, the log file will show you what was installed.

Another option you have is go to safemode and reinstall the last service pack that was installed in the system, as this might overwrite a bad file. Would still run chkdsk from safemode first.

HTH

David

in safe mode, i don't see the exchange services.
i've passed to service apck3 in safe mode.
still it reboots continously.

further ideas please!

where can i download windows 2000 server. (i don't have the cd)

If you or your company has an MSDN subscription, you can download it from Microsoft's MSDN subscriber download site. That's the only legal area I can think of where you can download Windows 2000.

While in Safe Mode, disable all non-essential services (or put them into Manual status and stop the service yourself) and then reboot. If it reboots ok, then one by one start to enable services until you encounter the problem again.

-

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back