Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help upgrading chipset from Fastrak to Silicon Image Raid 0

Status
Not open for further replies.

stevecater

Technical User
Jan 13, 2006
CA
I currently have a small RAID 0 on a MOBO built in Fastrak controller.
I am upgrading the system and the onboard controller on the new system is an Nvidia or Silicon Image RAID chipset.

Will the new controller recognize the old FastT array and rebuild it or do I have to wipe the drives and start from scratch!

TIA.

If you have a raid 0 then there is nothing to rebuild.

The question should be does the new controller erase the drives automatically when you setup the array because if it does not then your data should still be there. Should be no different then taking a EIDE or SATA drive and putting it in another machine and it should boot provided it does not need any special drivers.

My misguided thinking was that a RAID 1 striped array would be organized by the RAID controller in a specific (possibly proprietory) manner making simple migration to a new platform questionable. Conversely, a mirrored RAID 1 array being merely a duplicate, 'should' be practically plug & play.

I will investigate the new RAID chipets to verify if they erase data when setting up the new array.

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back