Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Understanding Serial port Wake on ring

Status
Not open for further replies.

ColdPhreze

Programmer
Apr 15, 2002
Has anyone experienced how that external modems connected to the serial port can cause your PC (which is off) to turn on when the phone rings, or when you turn the modem on or off, when wake on ring is enabled on your motherboard?

The modems use Wake On Ring (WOR), sometimes called Wake on Modem to do this, and that is what I need help with.

My goal is to simulate what the modem would do to turn on the PC via serial port. I am an electronics engineer, so this should not be difficult to design something to do this - if I knew how it worked. I have searched on google, and google groups, and have not found what I need. There is very little documentation that I have been able to find on how WOR works with external modems.

Why do I want to know this?: I am looking for a way to make a PC turn on by sending a signal to the serial port. I know of all the other ways to turn on a PC, I just need to know this about the serial port: How does it WOR work on a serial port, and how can I simulate it (because it would be a simple way to turn on a laptop remotely).

I have tried applying +5 and +12 and -12 (with respect to the pc's ground) to the Ring Indicator pin, but that did not do it for me.

If someone has an external modem that supports WOR, along with a PC that turns on when the modem detects the phone ringing, and an oscilloscope, maybe they could test what happens on each serial wire on a 9-pin port when there is ring? I would do it myself, but do not have an external serial modem, unfortunatly.

I am not looking for other methods of turning on a laptop remotely, I primarily desire to understand the WOR via serial port.

Thank you very much in advance for your help,
KyferEz

Check out my DeVry Senior Project: and my CarPC Hardware:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back