Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Understanding Roaming profile synchronization

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmail2

Programmer
Jun 15, 2005
IE
One of our users had a problem with her roaming profile this morning. I restored her profile to a backup copy we had stored from one month ago and in the meantime I started working on getting last night's tape back from the store.

Later in the afternoon, I got the tape back and her profile to a temporary location. I renamed her current server side roaming profile folder to username.old and then copied the resotred profile to the profiles folder (I also gave her FC permissions and set her as the owner).

However, what happened next is what I find really strange. I've always understood that since 2000, roaming profiles will synchronize - meaning that the newer files on the server will download to the client (at logon) and the newer files on the client will upload to the server (at logoff). But this didn't happen. I even logged on and off twice to make double sure that they would match - but they didn't.

There were two favorites which she had updated the URL to a week ago. The favorite on the client side showed the old address (from the "backup" taken one month ago) but the favorite on the server showed the new address.

How is this possible? Surely windows should have seen that the copy on the server was newer and replaced the cached client side one with the server copy (I double checked that the last modified date was last week). Or I would have at least expected the server side one to be overwritten by the cached client side one when I logged the user off, but this wasn't the case either. Can anyone explain at all?

Thanks in advance

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Thanks for the replies linney. I'll see what other replies I get to this and then maybe I'll post in the server forum - don't want to start double posting !!

However, I did double check the offline files setting after reading your post (even though i was 100% sure it was off as we never use it !!) and it was actually on !! I've disabled it now and I'm gonna try to restore a profile for a test user shortly and see how that works out.

I'll post back and let you know

Irish Poetry - Karen O'Connor
Irish Poetry and Short Stories - Doghouse Books
Garten und Landschaftsbau

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back