Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help - Unable to browse over subnet 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

sba

Technical User
Oct 18, 2001
AU
I have 2 subnets running NT4 and Win95 - A & B connected by ISDN link with Cisco 2500 series router at both ends. PDC is running WINS, DHCP & DNS services. Win95 PCs is WINS enable with NetBEUI,IPX/SPX compatible & TCP/IP installed. All IP addressing is static. Subnet A has PDC and BDC. Subnet B has no server at all but only Win95 PCs. Browsing is not a problem through Network Neighborhood until both routers are replaced by Cisco 800 series. Accessing over the subnet can only be done by using UNC name. There is no change in PCs or servers configuration at all. How can I get to browse as I once used to. I do not want to install a BDC at subnet B. Somebody please help and thanks.

If your browselist is not working it sounds as though WINS is not working as it should

You won't be needing Netbeui to workgroup with as this is a NON routable protocol.
Is your router set to route IPX? If this was the case previously, then maybe someone has buggered the network numbers of the routers for the appropriate networks.
Maybe you were using IPX to workgroup between offices and maybe the new 800's are not configured to route IPX. And now you are left only with TCP/IP to play with.
So you need to ensure that WINS is working and that the node type assigned to the client is Hybrid (0x8).
If the node type is wrong, then Windows will broadcast first and then lookup the WINS entry after. You really ought to look up in WINS first before attempting a broadcast

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back