Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help/Tutorial: Custom container control, design-time behavior

Status
Not open for further replies.

fourpastmidnight

Programmer
Jan 7, 2002
US
Hello all:

I'm looking for some help or at the very least an article or tutorial you may have found on the web that deals with custom container controls and/or tips/how-to's for design-time behavior of custom controls. Let me give you a little more detail on what I'm looking for.

I've begun to implement a control library in VB.NET. The class library contains controls such as SlideCaption, WizardSlideBase, InteriorWizardSlide, ExteriorWizardSlide and Wizard. If you haven't guessed it already, it's YAWC, or "yet another wizard control"... ;-) Anyhow, this is different from a lot of the wizard controls available for download in that the Wizard class will instantiate a wizard object that conforms to the MS Wizard 97 Specification. However, you may want to use components of a wizard for a UI that doesn't act like a wizard, so you will be able to instantiate objects of the other classes and derive from them yourself when referenceing this library.

What I'm trying to do is figure out how to make my "wizard slides", or pages, if you will, site controls (is this the correct terminology?). In other words, when I drag for example, a textbox on top of my InteriorWizardSlide, the InteriorWizardSlide should be the parent control of the textbox, not the Form that the InteriorWizardSlide is sited on (and indirectly the textbox). Basically, I'm wondering if I need to implement some sort of collection class, and exactly how to do that in terms of a user control.

I hope you all understand what I'm looking for and can help me find something. It doesn't matter if the tutorial is in VB.NET or C#. If you know of any good books on the subject, please feel free to suggest that too. And the books don't have to be free (i.e. if you know of a good MS Press book for example, that would be fine). Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Craig E. Shea
Microsoft Certified Professional

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back