Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help to Create a Database Website in Dreamweaver??

Status
Not open for further replies.

aknibb

Technical User
May 29, 2009
GB
Hello all..

I am relatively new to Dreamweaver and have never been too technical with the websites I do..

Check out for example...

My job is that of a Desktop Engineer, but my boss has tasked me with creating a kinda of web app for managing our assets, incident and task logging and reporting..

My question is how do I go about creating a website with a database linked into it? I'm guessing it has something to do with PHP, MySQL and using Dreamweaver to create the front end?

Please help me impress my boss!!

Cheers Ash

It could be PHP and MYSQL, it could also be ASP and MSSQL, Coldfusion and PostgreSQL; or a combination of any of the above. It all comes down to what you have available, or what you can install.

If you have PHP and MYSQL available in your webserver or webhost, or can install them, then you can use that.

With that said, I'd ditch Dreamweaver, at least while you learn the basics of the MYSQL PHP interaction, and do it the old fashion way: hand coding. That way you can then have DW assist you in creating what you need, but You know what its doing. As opposed to having it create all this code that has no meaning for you.

DW also tends to be behind in the PHP updates so sometimes it uses things that may not be available in more current versions of PHP or that are strongly recommended not to use due to security concerns.

The first thing is to design your database. this is something DW can't do.

You need to determine what tables you need, what information they'll hold, and how they will relate to one another.

Once you have that part done you can move on to the interaction with a website through PHP.

If you want more specific help in any of the areas you can
post in the appropriate forums:

forum434
forum436
forum215

----------------------------------
Phil AKA Vacunita
----------------------------------
Ignorance is not necessarily Bliss, case in point:
Unknown has caused an Unknown Error on Unknown and must be shutdown to prevent damage to Unknown.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back