Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help-testing CAT 6 massive next failures 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

victor39

Technical User
Jun 19, 2005
US
Testing CAT 6 cable -cable is systimax-0 gigaspeed XL , connecters are MGS400 to vispatch in closet and patch panels to vispatch in closet..Most of the cables are failing due to NEXT....using fluke tester DSP 4300 trying channel adapter L1A101 and permanent link adapter L1A012 both for cat 6...on the smart end of the tester using patch cord with 110 adapter at one end which is attatched to visipatch, back end of patch cord terminated RJ45 jack onto which male end tester is then attatched to...any one having any ideas on sloving NEXT problem would certainly be appreciated ...the RJ45 jacks in the field are done per specs given by systimax...thanks

The first thing I would do is reverse my testing direction, IE if your testing from the patch panel with the Fluke, go to the field side and test back with the fluke to the patch panel, see if the near end x-talk becomes far end x-talk, if so then you know it's the terminations on the patch panel, if it stays near end x-talk I would suspect the tester

i totally agreed with oldtimerbob here....i've done a large scale cat 6 install and trust me on this how sensitive these !#@$!$! testers are when it comes to NEXT.....on the patch panel almost you have to maintain the twist right to the end before it gets punch down to pass the damn tester.....on the jack side is fine since most manufacturer have slots for each pair and pin....but try to do 1 cable on the patch panel and maintain the twist all the way to nearly right next to the slot where it had to be punch down....

Another thing that may help is to set the tester to generic Cat 6 and not put in the specific cable or connectors and see if that does it?
Maintain the twist as close a possible on the jack ends also.....the type of system you have there won't give you much le-way (systemix)....
I have found the BEST way to do a cat 6 is to put jacks at both ends ( you can get the patch panels that accept jacks too) but that is a personal thing.

victor,
I ran into a similar problem two days ago. It was a GigaSPEED solution with VisiPatch at the closet and modular jacks at the workstation end. I had a couple of channels fail due to NEXT. I used a spudger at the VisiPatch end to change the orientation of the pairs right at the termination point and they ended up passing. You have an extremely good system installed. Don't believe everything you hear about needing jacks at both ends. VisiPatch is by far the cleanest and most user friendly closet termination solution out there.

My guess is that you are not using the proper tools.

My concern is that the "patch cord with 110 adapter at one end" may be causing the problems you describe. The DSP series tester is designed to use "personality modules" to connect directly to the visipatch 110 connector.

For more information on how to test a visipatch system with a DSP see:

The part you need is on page 6:
"For testing of VisiPatch installations, the DSP-PM10B (T568B wiring) or the DSP-PM10A (T568A wiring)
can be used."

Both of the DSP-PM10 modules plug directly onto the visipatch 110 connector.

The other thing to do, particularly with the fact that is such a large scale failure, get your Systimax rep out there and have them tour the site. Particularly ask to have a technical manager come out.

Also, I will second the comment on making sure that you have the appropriate test adapters. That 'patch cord' you are using to test with could very well be the problem. Now, if you are using an actual VisiPatch Patch-to-RJ45 at the closet and a SYSTIMAX patch cord at the workstation and doing a Channel test head and select a Channel test in the tester, then it goes back to installation issues.

Justin T. Clausen
Physical Layer Implementation
California State University, Monterey Bay

wires idea about the adapter and the systimax documantion was the solution...actually i found that document on the web a few days ago and thanks god it was the solution...thanks for telling the right answer...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back