Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

help! temp files are taking up all my free space!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

shoobi

Technical User
Sep 18, 2005
IL
hi
i am working on big files in photoshop (250-500 MB on average), i have 5GB free space on my D drive and 9 GB on my C.. I keep getting messages that there is "low disk space" on my D drive (which seemed weird at first because I knew I had 5 GB left..) thats when i realized that each time i work on photoshop, temp files are being created in a temp folder on D:\.. that are taking up all my free space. In addition the temp files created seem to be 10 times the size of the files that are being used.. If i open a 250MB file it creates a temp of approx. 2GB.. !!

what this means is that although i supposedly have 5 GB left on my D drive i cant save my file to D because while I'm working on it the space is being used... this seems ridiculous!

Is this normal? Is there anyway to keep from creating temp files? Are temp files necessary? what do I do?

Thanks for the help :)

S

What version of Photoshop are you using? What history options do you have set?

Your condition might be normal if settings are this way.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

hi jimoblak - thanks for ur help..

i am using photoshop 7.
i just changed the scratch disk and now its saving the temp files on c instead of d.. just a temporary solution. although it keeps telling me that the scratch disk shouldn't be on my primary volume..

the main problem isnt just the fact that its making these temp files but that they're are so huge! i just opened a 83 MB file and it immediately created a 1.5 GB temp file!! (this time on c).. this seems wrong - also i'm surprised i had never noticed this before..this is really bad because i just have nowhere to save my files once the program is running (catch 22!!)

history option? do you mean history states? well if you do then its at 20...

i dont know if this is relevant but in my cache settings - its at 4
and the box isn't checked for 'use cache for histograms'.

In short is there anything I can do to change this and actually use photoshop and the memory i have left on my puter?

I'm trying to reach a deadline and cant work!!

thanks so much for the help -

s

IT sounds like you have everything checked that you should. How about the version of the software? Are you up to 7.0.1? I don't recall a drive space issue in the 7.0 release but it would not hurt to update to 7.0.1.

- - I hope this helps - -
[sub](Complain to someone else if it doesn't)[/sub]

I cant update at the moment..
but I didnt get it - Are you saying that this is normal?
or is something really wrong with the way this is working?
Do you also have these collosal files being stored on your drives when you use photoshop?

thanx
s

I just opened up pshop 7.1.1 and it uses 38Mb alone

Next I opwned a 1 Mbyte bitmap and my disk space was reduced by 4 Mbytes

are your ratios about the same?

First, close any "background" programs and work with only Photoshop open. Set your (Edit-Preferences) memory usage as high as you can.

Each time you get done with a file, close Photoshop and restart. This will clear the temp files. Go to your Photoshop directory and make sure they're gone. If not, highlight and delete.

Make sure you have as much RAM as you can. Photoshop 7 handles up to 2 Gig, I believe. Or buy another external hard drive (you can find them on sale pretty cheaply) and designate it for your scratch drive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back