Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help speeding up Borland console applications

Status
Not open for further replies.

scanlonj

Programmer
Dec 8, 2004
US
I have a C++ console application that was compiled under Borland C++ Builder 6.0, and it runs extremely slowly. If I recompile it with the aCC compiler in a HPUX (Unix) environment, the speed increases by over 5x. The source code itself is identical, save for a few differences in the file and display stuff.

The program does a lot of number crunching, and I have ascertained that the problem is not related to I/O. According to our IT people, the PC that I am using is actually a faster machine than the Unix box.

Does the Borland compiler bring along any "excess baggage" during compilation? I have turned off debugging, etc, and it helps a little, but not much.

Any suggestions or help would be appreciated.

Thanx
Jack

Well, you could check if you have enabled math. processor in BCB, it could be that easy.....

Otherwise i don't know what's wrong, i have never had those kind of problems.

Totte
Keep making it perfect and it will end up broken.

Are you compiling it in the IDE or from the command prompt?

James P. Cottingham
-----------------------------------------
[sup]To determine how long it will take to write and debug a program, take your best estimate, multiply that by two, add one, and convert to the next higher units.[/sup]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back