Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Sorting Folders.

Status
Not open for further replies.

RITec

MIS
May 15, 2002
US
Hello Everyone, I have previously posted this in Windows 2000 forum but did not receive any feedback.

I want to know if anyone can make windows 2000 sort like windows XP.

We have around 300 computers 75 percent have Windows XP leaving 25 percent Windows 2000. Within the next year we should be all XP, but they would like a temporary fix for now.

We have named some folders after streets and Avenue’s and they like the way XP lists it as:
1 Ave
2 Ave
3 Ave
Etc.

Windows 2000 list the folders like:
1 Ave
10 Ave
101 Ave
Etc.

They have tried but don’t want to put 001 or _1 etc.

I can find a lot of different articles on how to make XP sort like w2k but not the other way around.

Has anyone tried this before? Or have any Ideas.
Any help is much appreciated.

Thank You

RITec

I hate to say it, but I don't think this is going to work. The intelligent character string sorting in XP and Server 2K3 were introduced new for those OS's - I don't think it can be added to older products.

The only thing I can think of might be a third-party app (maybe). I know there are some file managers/explorer enhancements, but I have no idea if they include that kind of function.

The only other possibility might be, and yes I know this is a stretch, but were the folders created in order, or randomly?

If they were created in order, you could sort by creation date in Explorer and it would at least approximate what you are trying to do.

Sorry I couldn't be of more help,
Martin

Who235,

Thank You for replying. The folders are created randomly. I thought this might be a long shot when I was asked to get this done. I was just thought by chance someone else might have tried and succeeded.

Thank You

RITec

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back