Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help Sony Vaio problems

Status
Not open for further replies.

kathanon

Technical User
Jan 29, 2002
GB
I am doing a clean install of W2k on my boss's Sony Vaio PCG F701. I was given the drivers by someone who generally knows what they are doing and assured me that these were ok. But they aren't the right ones. On looking at the Vaio link site, there are no drivers listed at all for W2k for this model. I have searched and still cannot find the drivers so I am now going to reinstall W98 SE and hope I can get all the drivers for that.

Does anyone know of anywhere I can find the W2k drivers for this model please?

Many thanks

Kathy

Have you checked the Sony Vaio web site? A lot of the newer models that come with XP won't have the 98 drivers listed... -= Beer is food! Is it suppertime? =-
If ya like the info on the posts - rate them helpful!

I have the same problem. When you install w2k it doesn't find the Display adapter, the Modem and 2 things related to the ISA to PCI bridge. I installed another PCMCIA modem and found the right drivers for the Neomagic Display adapter on driverguide.com. It seems to run fine on windows 2000 just now. On the F403 type it also doesn't find the 2 things related to the ISA to PCI bridge. The other drivers are provided by sony.

Thanks for the info errorwin,

I have now decided to leave it restored to 98. It is really annoying to have a (not cheap) laptop that Sony then do not provide all the drivers for. I will stick to other brands in the future.

kathy

It's a hassle, but often the drivers for a similar model computer will work. I ran into this same situation with my PCG-Z505JS when trying to set up 2K. I found that the drivers for some of the other 505's with different suffixes had 2K drivers available that were compatible with my model. Alot of trial and error, but I finally got everything working, even some of the more obscure stuff, like the jog dial, and the all the Fn keys, memory stick slot, power panel, everything.
Good luck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back