Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations SkipVought on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help should I reinstall Windows Server 2012?? Start menu, charm bars, icons all disappeared

Status
Not open for further replies.

grippy

Programmer
Dec 2, 2004
US
So I'm not sure what happened but I built a windows server 2012 standard running a web server. Sent it to the data center and everything worked great for 6 months or so. One day it wasn't live so I remote booted it and ever since I've been missing a lot of functions and have been resorting to old school keyboard commands and aftermarket software for the start menu. When you move the mouse to any of the four corners nothing pops out anymore. Start button key doesn't switch the screen anymore. Task bar is completely blank even removed my clock. Every time I reboot my server my icons on my desktop disappear but then when I right click and arrange icons by name they pop back up in order. CTRL ALT DEL just pops up a blank blue screen with no login options or task manager. When I right click on the taskbar and goto properties the Notification area: Customize button will not open and let me configure anything anymore. I've tried different registry fixes online with no success. My webserver and sql server are still operating fine online. Let me know any and all suggestions please. My last resort is to reinstall windows remotely since I am out of state however I need to know if this will erase everything or can I do a soft reinstall that just fixes system files?

Thank you for the help.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back