Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

HELP - Shadow copy in Backup Exec 9.1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olli1009

MIS
Jul 30, 2003
IL
Hi Guys,

I would really appreciate it if someone could give me some basic explanation about shadow copy backup option in Backup Exec 9.1
We recently got this version and are currently trying to play with it and i'm quite new to it.
Do i need to use it additionally to a "regular" backup in Backup Exec?
How can it be useful when it comes to backing up Active Directory?

Any help would be highly appreciated!
Thanks!

Olli1009

The shadow copy components, are a new MS thing in Windows 2003, you will only see Shadow Copy Components in the selections list of a Windows 2003 server.

What's inside it?

1. The system state of the server - make sure this is selected, as it includes among other things, the registry and the Active Diretory if the server is a DC.
2. Userdata - this includes - Exchange 2003 and SQL 2000 server data.
2003 came with a new option called VSS (Volume Shadow Copy), it allows you to take a snapshot of online databases reliably and then back them up (you can also take a snapshot and put it on another disk - hardware vendors like EMC and HP are doing this).
With Veritas, you still need the Exchange option license for this to work, or the SQL option license.

There is another option, think it is WMI data, and other options, which I can't remember what they are at the moment.

Best thing is to make sure at least the System State in Shadow copy Components is selected for backups at least.

Maybe also do a search on MS site for VSS, or Shadow Copy - this will give you a better idea of what it is and how to use it to your benefits.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back