Tek-Tips is the largest IT community on the Internet today!

Members share and learn making Tek-Tips Forums the best source of peer-reviewed technical information on the Internet!

• Congratulations Mike Lewis on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Help setting up new workgroup for file sharing

Status
Not open for further replies.

sunshineandwine

Technical User
Sep 23, 2003
CA
I am running W2K Pro. I have an additional computer running W98 SE. We are sharing internet access through a wireless DLink router the windows 2K machine is hardwired to the router. I would like to be able to share files with the other computer but have to admit everything I've read just boggles me. I can't wrap my brain around networking. Could someone walk me through the steps I need to take in order to share files with the Win98 Computer.

Also do I need a print server if I want to share a printer or can I do this through the router?

Thank you in advance.

Here are a few links.

Also hopefully linny sees this and make his own post as he will probally have better links then me concerning helping with networking. In the meantime you can give these a try or wait and see what others post as well. Hope this helps some.

I'll hold back from offering suggestions on the general networking side in favour of others more knowledgable than me.

sunshineandwine said:
Also do I need a print server if I want to share a printer or can I do this through the router?

I have a DLink wireless router (DI624) and use a HP Deskjet 6520 hooked into the network via a 3Com OfficeConnect PrintServer so may be able to help with this side of things.

Networked printing (ie printer connected via print server / router) will be dependant on the printer model / type. As a general rule multifunction printers (scan / copy /print type) won't function correctly via a print server, and some of the newer high-end printers seem to be artificially restricted to proprietary networking accessories (my opinion based on what we are currently seeing where I work).

The alternative to the print server / router approach is simply to share the printer from one of the networked PCs, although this does require that the machine sharing out the printer be powered on for printing operations to be successful. This is usually the cheaper option and may be more than adequate for your needs.

Please can you post your router model and printer model information so we can clarify the options for you.

HTH

TazUk

[pc] Blue-screening PCs since 1998

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back